FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Bonnie Nebuda, Director of Advancement
Date: January 23, 2017
ARCHBISHOP BERGAN CATHOLIC SCHOOL CELEBRATES NATIONAL CATHOLIC SCHOOLS WEEK
Sunday, January 29 – Saturday, February 4, 2017
Nationwide, Catholic Schools will embark upon a week dedicated to celebrating their existences. The theme for this year is “Catholic Schools: Communities of Faith, Knowledge, and Service.” The theme highlights several concepts that are at the very core of Catholic education and exemplified by Archbishop Bergan Catholic School through their very own mission statement. Not only are schools communities themselves, they are part of larger communities, including Saint Patrick’s Catholic Church, Fremont, Nebraska and our nation. Saint Patrick’s parish supports the school through prayer and resources. The school in turn, collaborates with families to develop children into future church leaders and citizens. The theme also focuses on key components of Catholic education: faith development, academic excellence, and dedication to service. These elements are what make Catholic schools special, what sets them apart from other educational options.
Catholic education has been alive and well in Fremont for since 1913. This is a cause to celebrate during Catholic Schools Week as we honor our past with pride and look forward to our future with optimism. Archbishop Bergan Catholic School has planned Open Houses for each of their buildings on Sunday, January 29th starting at 12:30 p.m. in the Elementary building, 2:00 p.m. at the Early Childhood Education Center and at 3:30 p.m. at the Middle/High School building; in addition to other events to celebrate National Catholic Schools Week that the whole community can enjoy. The Omaha Street Percussion group will be performing for students and the public at the All School Pep Rally on Monday, January 31st after the 9:00 a.m. Chamber Coffee at the Middle/High School building. Members of the Bergan family and Fremont community will be recognized for their service to Archbishop Bergan Catholic School at the annual Knights of the Round Table Awards presented at half time of the boys varsity basketball game on Friday, February 3, 2017. These events provide a great opportunity for the Fremont community to see what Archbishop Bergan students are accomplishing and to thank the faculty, staff and volunteers who give so much of themselves to educate our children.
See a complete schedule of events attached.
2017 National Catholic Schools Week
Sunday, January 29, 2017
THEME FOR THE DAY: Faith, Knowledge and Service: In our Parish
• Mr. Koenig will speak before each Mass over the weekend about Catholic Education
• A scrolling presentation will be available in Delaney Hall during the Knights of Columbus Pancake Breakfast
• 9AM & 11AM Masses will have reserved seating for Bergan families. Bergan students, faculty, and staff will provide service in various ways during the Masses.
o Students are asked to wear their school uniforms to Mass
o Seating will be reserved for students and their families on the west (left) side of church
• Open Houses
o Early Childhood Education Center (2-5PM) for prospective and current families. Come participate in a craft, while you meet the teachers and caregivers. Students’ art work will be on display. Refreshments will be provided.
o Elementary Open House (12-3PM) for prospective and current families will feature a Chili Cook-off contest where families can bring their favorite chili or other soup, dessert, or anything else to share. Jovenes Para Cristo will be providing their famous Tamles that many enjoy at the St. Patrick’s Festival. There will be Chess games set up in the gym and activities in various classrooms.
o Middle/High School Open House (3:30-5:30PM) current families are invited to come and see your child’s accomplishments in the classroom. Not enrolled at Bergan yet? Meet our faculty and current students! Refreshments will be provided.
Monday, January 30, 2017
THEME FOR THE DAY: Faith, Knowledge and Service: In Our Community
Students need to be in School Uniform
• Chamber of Commerce Coffee in Middle/High School Gym Lobby 9-10AM
• All School Pep Rally to kick off Catholic Schools Week in the Middle/High School Gym 9:45AM. Parents are welcome to attend!
o Mayor’s Proclamation of Catholic Schools Week
o Omaha Street Percussion to perform
Tuesday, January 31, 2017
THEME FOR THE DAY: Faith, Knowledge and Service: Celebrating our Students
Students wear House shirts with Uniform bottoms
• Bergan Students, Parent & Donor Breakfast in the Elementary Gym 7-8AM
o Breakfast will include egg casserole, cinnamon rolls, juice, and coffee, provided by St. Patrick’s Women.
o Middle/High school students who need transportation can be bussed back to the Middle/High school building in time for class at 8:00AM
• MS/HS Prayer Service recognizing student achievement in the Bergan Gym at 9:35AM
Wednesday, February 1, 2017
THEME FOR THE DAY: Faith, Knowledge and Service: Celebrating Our Nation
Early Dismissal (No Pre-Kindergarten Class) – Spirit Wear Day (Bergan or Red, White & Blue)
• Pre-Kindergarten Enrollment Day 9-10AM
Thursday, February 2, 2017
THEME FOR THE DAY: Faith, Knowledge and Service: Celebrating Our Vocations
Students can wear School Uniforms or Dress Up Clothes – NO JEANS
• All School Mass honoring Families and Grandparents at St. Patrick’s Catholic Church at 8:30AM with cookie/juice reception to follow in Delaney Hall for all Parents and Grandparents
• Faculty/staff lunch at both buildings provided by Parent Knights
• Re-enrollment for current families opens online
Friday, February 3, 2017
THEME FOR THE DAY: Faith, Knowledge and Service: Celebrating Our Faculty, Staff and Volunteers. National Teacher Appreciation Day
FREE Break the Dress Code Day!
• Kindergarten Enrollment Day 9-10AM & 1-2PM
• All School Activity
• Ice cream sundae buffet for ECEC students 4PM
• Knights of the Round Table Awards presented at half time of the Boys Varsity Basketball Game. Girls Game starts at 6:30 p.m. & Boys Game begins at 8:00 p.m.