1) I appreciate all of the staff at Saint Patrick Parish & Archbishop Bergan Catholic School having patience in being preventative towards this virus.
2) The following events have led to recent decision making.... The one confirmed case in Nebraska of an individual having this virus is a 36 year old female from the Omaha/Elkhorn area. On February 29, there was a Special Olympics basketball tournament at the Fremont Family YMCA. This 36 year old female attended and participated in this Special Olympics Basketball Tournament not knowing that they had the virus at the time.
3) From all of my knowledge in consulting with medical professionals, this virus attacks the respiratory system. People who have compromised immune systems and especially those 60 and older are more at risk.
This virus is spread through respiratory secretions, meaning mucus and saliva from coughing and wiping of the mouth and nose. Please, please, please be sure that you are washing your hands often and refrain from touching your face, mouth, nose and eyes.
4) After multiple phone calls, conference calls and meetings on Saturday, March 7, all of the educational entities in Fremont made the joint decision to close schools for the week of Monday March 9. The following is the information as it relates to Archbishop Bergan Catholic School.
Archbishop Bergan Catholic Schools, including the Bergan Early Childhood Education Center, Bergan Elementary & Bergan Middle/High School will be closed effective immediately through March 14.
The following activities will be cancelled/postponed.
Athletic/activities practices and games/meets
Any meetings/presentations scheduled at any of the schools
So as a reminder, School will be cancelled on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday of this week. This includes the cancellation/postponement of all activities, meetings and registration events.
5) All buildings are closed and should not be accessed as a precaution. Please contact the Principal if you need to utilize one of the facilities. This is a rigid expectation. Our maintenance staff is working hard to be sure that all areas are cleaned and disinfected while students and staff are not in school this week.
6) We will still observe the scheduled Academic Calendar for the remainder of the school year starting on Monday March 23. We will NOT be adding any additional days to the school calendar for the 2019-2020 school year.
7) Our next scheduled school day will be on Monday March 23. The last day of the 3rd quarter will be on Thursday 3/26. Bergan Assessment Tools (BATS End of Quarter Assessments) Flex Day for Grades 7-12 will be on Tuesday 3/24. BATS End of Quarter Assessments will take place on Wednesday 3/25 & Thursday 3/26. The 4th quarter of the 2019-2020 school year will begin on Friday 3/27.
Please continue to be a voice of reason for all those who are worried.
Please know that we are making decisions as extreme cautionary measures in order to prevent exposure.
Please do not panic and know that our Lord's will is being done.
Pray for an end to this virus and the healing of all those impacted by it as well.